Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 72

    Day 72: Dog Cafe & a Hotel Move

    August 26, 2016 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 34 °C

    Very little to report today. Our time in Hotel Clover was up, so we had a leisurely breakfast and checked out around midday. We decided that we'd head for a semi-local cafe for lunch, with a twist - a dog cafe! It's essentially a pet groomers and hotel, with a cafe on the side where you can have lunch or a coffee and pat some dogs.

    So we rode the Skytrain a few stops, walked the 10 minutes or so from the station and arrived at the cafe around 12:30. There were 6 dogs there - a husky, a corgi, a mini schnauser, a westie, a collie and a samoyed. It was funny watching them as the heat outside (inside was air conditioned) clearly affected them. They'd play or be active in very short bursts, then lie down and have a good snooze for 10-15 minutes.

    We spent a couple of hours here, as we literally had nothing else planned other than moving to our new hotel. Burgers and milkshakes were the order of the day for lunch, and lots of patting was done. Someone turned up with another dog at one point and everything turned a bit chaotic, as the fairly well behaved cafe dogs got extremely excited by the newcomer and just wanted to play and investigate him. Definitely the centre of attention!

    Eventually it was time to go, though it was tough to say goodbye! One of the days where you remember how much you miss having a dog of your own. Back to the station and then the hotel where we picked up our bags and jumped in a taxi. Despite it being 3pm and not yet peak hour, the traffic was still as godawful as always. The drive took an hour, and by the time we hopped out the meter said we'd travelled about 9km and been stationary for over 35 minutes.

    The new hotel is on Rambutri street, which runs parallel to famous Khao San Road. It's much more basic but clean and comfortable enough. We spent some time in the room, the restaurant and on Skype before heading out for a wander in search of dinner. Managed to catch a nice sunset from a waterfront park where some strange group exercise was in progress, complete with pounding techno music.

    Back towards our hotel where we ate dinner a nice-looking bar, though with still nice cheap prices. Not much else to report, we were back at the hotel and relaxing by 9pm.
    Read more