Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Day 38: More of Porto

    March 25, 2017 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Another big day of exploration - Porto is a big city and has a lot to see! Decided to head out without Schnitzel today as I wanted to get more filming done, and managing him in addition to everything else can make things a bit difficult at times.

    Walked through a few of the main streets, past a beautiful art deco theatre where something important was happening - lots of police lining the streets and men in suits with earpieces. Maybe the president or something? We didn't stick around to find out. Got some more good footage of the outside of the cathedral and the train station, though when we headed for the neo-classical stock exchange building it was closed for a siesta! Go figure.

    Down to the waterfront again where we got some much better footage and photos of the buildings, as well as a good wander through the backstreets just behind it. Very atmospheric here, with tiny maze-like alleys, towering buildings and stone warehouse style buildings doubling-up as basements.

    Nothing specific for lunch today, aside from definitely not having another Francesinha! We just picked and grazed and bought things whenever we felt the need - a meat pastry here, a sweet pastry there. Ended up at a relaxed bar on the waterfront playing jazz music and had a drink with some "rustic fries" ie wedges, but still nice now that the sun was out a little bit.

    Headed back up into the main area of town and checked with the stock exchange again. It was now open and tickets were being sold, but the next tour in English wasn't for another hour (tours run every 20 minutes and alternate between Portuguese, English and French) so we decided not to bother. Found another couple of shopping streets with interesting shops to look at, which Shandos indulged in for a while. Also stumbled across some odd clock tower thing on the corner of a department store building that was chiming bells, though it wasn't on the hour.

    Last stop for the afternoon was a cafe called the Majestic, which was opened in the 1890s and barely renovated since. I realise that sounds awful, but it's in great condition and decorated amazingly in perfect Parisienne Belle Epoque. Apparently it was a favourite haunt of JK Rowling's, and she even wrote some of the Potter books here. It's famous for Majestic French Toast which was only lightly fried but absolutely covered in egg yolk and sugar batter, almost like eating a Portuguese egg tart. Also topped with almonds, cinnamon and raisins - delicious!

    By now it was 5pm and I headed back to the apartment while Shandos continued shopping for a bit longer. Stayed in again, snacking on some bread, artisan chocolate and strawberries that we'd bought in the afternoon. And of course putting a serious dent in the port from yesterday!
    Read more