Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 603

    Day 604: Old Town of Corfu

    October 11, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    The main reason for coming to Corfu was to visit the Old Town, which was about 15 minutes drive to our north. So off we went - it's a World Heritage site, naturally. It's not particularly "old" by Greek standards though; the most notable features are fortifications built by the Venetians in the 13th-17th centuries, and then improved on by the British in the 19th century.

    Took ages to find a park since the parking lot was full, and we had to wait about 30 minutes while people slowly dripped out of the lot. Huge mounds of trash piled around as well which was quite off-putting; apparently the bin men have been on strike for a couple of years as the landfill is full. The government built a new, second landfill but in an illegal spot too close to houses and water sources and the riot police are currently keeping the peace. Apparently the situation has been dragging on for years and with no end in sight. Not super impressed with Corfu so far!

    The fortresses were interesting enough, though we've definitely seen better ones, though the town itself was OK. Lots of tall and narrow streets, which reminded us a bit of Genoa or other classic Italian port cities. Quite atmospheric. But otherwise - not so great, and we headed home mid-afternoon.

    At least our place is right on the beach!
    Read more