Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Citadel of the Ho Dynasty

    July 3, 2019 in Vietnam ⋅ ☁️ 31 °C

    Today's World Heritage site was a couple of hours out of town, back towards the north. We'd organised a driver to take us, and he rocked up at about 8:30am and off we went. The site itself was the remains of a 14th century royal citadel, which sounds really interesting until you realise that there's basically nothing there.

    The lowest part of the main gate is still intact, plus the earthworks of the square walls (about 1km on each side), along with a few stone blocks. But inside the citadel walls it was just rice paddies and a couple of dirt roads! Exactly what we were expecting so we weren't disappointing, but it was one of those ones where you scratch your head and wonder how exactly it got approved as a World Heritage Site.

    After walking to the far end and back, looking around the small museum and having a terrifying encounter with a squat portaloo, about two hours had elapsed and it was time to head back to our hotel in Tam Coc. Back in time for a late lunch, we grabbed some banh mi and spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing in the hotel. Shandos had a swim, though again I had no swimmers and stayed out.
    Read more