Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Puerto Chiapas, Mexico

    December 30, 2014, North Pacific Ocean ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    A cool little port that used to be called Puerto Medero when we were cruising it and not very cruiser friendly if I recall. Now they have a nice cruise port and marina. You can get a shuttle to town (Tapachula, about 30 minutes away) and we walked the downtown. Of course like any town in Mexico there is a shoe store on every corner so the Zapataria was the first stop as Ali needed another pair or tennis shoes and I needed some sandels. Great time shopping as the dollar is strong in Mexico and things are cheap. Finding the right size between Mexican sizes, European sizes and the few American sized shoes was fun but we managed.
    The archeology museum was closed (I hope for the holidays) but interestingly there was a huge tent set up on the town square with an ice skating rink in it and there were a lot of Mexican youth that were pretty good ice skaters. For having no natural ice anywhere we thought that was impressive.
    We ate a local restaurant that our guide says she eats at and we could see why. Great mole and the fresh tortillas we remember as the staple of the diet down here. We broke down and had to try this great looking drink that was made by letting the water sit on the rice overnight and then adding sugar and spices and chilling it until you get a milk like drink that was very good. Of course the "Mexican water" sitting on the rice was a little risk. We will see how that plays out for the next couple days of the cruise. Fortunately there are lots of bathrooms on the boat.
    Read more