Farewell my ConcubineJune 3 in China ⋅ ☁️ 3 °C
As we left China behind us we made a list of the things that we thought had flavoured our experience of China, grouped into the serious stuff and the not-so-serious stuff. Overall, an amazing place on so many levels.
The serious stuff
1. It's a big country with big plans to accommodate its burgeoning population. We saw numerous large scale roading and infrastructure developments everywhere (and anywhere). Watch out America!
2. Well managed tourist attractions, although perhaps a bit too managed!
3. Constant noise - even in the middle of nowhere.
4. Friendly and obliging people (for the most part).
5. Police in riot gear and metal detectors in shops as a normal part of life (at least in the west).
6. "Food is heaven" and the "starvation mentality"(eat as much as you can, while you can).
7. Well-used public exercise facilities and a yet a constant stream of cigarette smoke as you wander down the street.
8. Beautiful and well-thought out parks and gardens.
9. Plastic - it's everywhere and there is certainly no obvious interest in reducing it.
10. Poor planning and the encroachment of urban areas on farm land (displacement of people).
The fun stuff
1. Instant toileting solutions for babies and toddlers- pants slit front and back (saves on nappies)
2. Bring on the bling. They don't do things by halves.
3. Dodgy plumbing, hard beds.
4. Humungous floral artworks.
5. Crocheted, woven and lacy motorbike covers.
6. Face mask labels.
7. Piled high auto-rickshaws.
And the consistently funniest....Eglish translations of Chinese instructions.Read more