Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 315

    Alaska - Denali NP

    July 25, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    After an evening with too many drinks we had our best hangover day ever cause on the way from Tok to Fairbanks we stopped randomly at a tiny gas station where the lady told us about a bison farm nearby we should check out. Luckily a danish couple came by which stayed at this farm right now so they showed us how to get there. The farmer took us on a tour and it was really cool to see the bisons so close! We also got some bison, elk and moose burger patties as well as moose cheese sausages for free. The dinner for the next days was saved. 😀

    The Denali NP is a bit different of the others in terms of travelling there. You either have to stay at a certain campground in the park where you can go with your car/RV and have to park it there or you take all the stuff you need for your stay with you and enter the park with a camper bus. To get from A to B you always have to catch one of the green park busses.
    We booked for two nights at Igloo Creek Campground and then 3 nights at Wonderlake Campground which is at the far end of the park to see as much as possible from this huge nationalpark.
    There are not many maintained trails which means you have to find your own way off trail and you can go wherever you want. Again we were so lucky with the weather and were able to see Denali (alias Mt McKinley) a few times during our stay. Normally most off the times he hides behind the clouds.
    On one of the longer bus rides (Igloo Creek Campground to Wonderlake Campground - around 4hrs) we saw three times a grizzly with two cubs. There were also many caribous on the road, we could see dall sheeps on the mountains and spotted two times a moose in a lake. Denali is full of wildlife and stunning landscape! 😃 The only thing which was a little bit annoying was the huge amount of mosquitos at Wonderlake Campground.

    After 6 days in the nationalpark we stayed outside the nationalpark cause the plan was to reach the magic bus from the movie "into the wild". The try of the group to reach the magic bus failed cause the second river was a too high and strong for crossing.
    So we had time to do two more nice hikes at the park entrance which were accessible by car and had another beer at the 49th state brewery which was just next to our campground. Also the replica of the magic bus used for the film production was in front of the bar.

    All in all we spent around 10 days in Denali.
    This to be said: Denali NP was definitely my favorite part of this trip!😊
    Read more