Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 46

    Paradise Island of the Sulu Sea

    August 1, 2016, Sulu Sea β‹… β›… 15 Β°C

    Our speed boat pulled up to the island's jetty and my jaw dropped to the floor πŸ˜πŸ˜ƒ. In fact, we spent the next few days with our eyes wide open trying to absorb the beauty of this island. Lankayan was a little piece of heaven in the Sulu Sea. 🌴🌊❀

    A couple dozen cabins were dotted along the sand where the jungle met the sea, and I felt relaxed knowing I wouldn't be sharing our room with any lizards πŸ˜†.

    During our short time on the island we had a few options... lie horizontally, eat, sleep, dive or snorkel 🐠🐟.

    Steve chose the full on, three dives in a day option while I chose the lie horizontally on the beach and bed option. He really enjoyed the ship wreck dive, seeing the assortment of marine life such as small sharks, turtles and the colourful coral.

    The sea was crystal clear and we could look into the water from the raised walkways and spot turtles and tropical fish.

    The small stretch of sand was post-card like and the whole beach was ours! We could have swam in our birthday suits and no one would have known 😲...

    If all of this wasn't enough, at 5.30 pm each night we were called to witness Green Turtles hatching. At the hatchery we learnt about the conservation of the turtles and watched in amazement as approximately 150 turtles emerged from 2 nests. Once they had made their way out of the sand they were counted and taken down to the beach.

    Carefully the turtles were released onto the sand where they quickly found their way into the sea instinctively. Watching them begin their journey into the ocean was an amazing experience!

    🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒🐒
    Read more