Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Leeds Castle, Kent

    August 13, 2023 in England ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    We visited Leeds Castle in the afternoon. (FYI this is not the Leeds in West Yorkshire!)

    This was very different to other castles we've visited. Although it was first built in early 1100s, it was not presented with the medieval or Gothic feel of other ancient places. The castle was bought by a rich lady (who had inherited from 3 husbands 😯) who used her inheritances to refurbish the castle. She was half American and loved to host parties with wealthy filmstars. The castle is set in the 1930s as she had decorated it.

    The inside was OK. You couldn't go to all the areas. It felt more like a stately home than a castle. The best part was the grand piano, which I couldn't resist having a tinkle on. You lose all shame when you haven't had access to one for 3 weeks.

    The grounds however were magnificent! Better than Warwick or any of the others. It had a splendid moat, and vast areas of grassy places where you could picnic or have wedding photos, with streams, bridges and waterfalls. There was a little 'village' of barn buildings which were set up as cafes. They had a maze (which we didn't go to) and you could go on a boat trip around the moat and lakes. A gorgeous day! I did lots of walking and my back is a bit sore.
    Read more