Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 565

    A sea voyage is fun

    March 1, Aegean Sea ⋅ 🌬 16 °C

    The crossing to Crete goes as expected. I grab one of the remaining seats and fill it with my stuff.
    The good seats are already gone, a couple of professional ferry guests must have been here much earlier to reserve the couches they are now watching over. Unlike me, they certainly didn't have to ask three other cutters if this was the right boat to take you to the new world. ^^
    Sleeping cabins cost a lot more, so only a few people treat themselves to this luxury and most are content to spend the night on the ferry in one of the armchairs.
    During an overnight crossing on a ship like this, you can carry out all kinds of sociological and psychological studies. I watch with fascination how everyone copes with the situation of limited bedding options and what solutions are worked out for this problem.
    I remember the film Men in Black, in which they are looking for new recruits for an agent position. The selection process includes a written test for which the candidates are given a sharp but fragile pencil and taken to a completely unsuitable room that offers all applicants only a single small table to write on.
    In analogy to the situation on the ferry, the environment is also rather unsuitable for sleeping and so you find only a few people on the cosy couches and the majority in a more upright position in an armchair, some in two armchairs, a few on the floor.
    It's interesting that the ferry companies know that their cabins are comparatively expensive and that most passengers will simply fall asleep in the lounges - but they wouldn't dream of making the seating more suitable for sleeping. Without exception, all the armchairs and chairs have backrests and comparisons with cities and municipalities that use the same strategy to try and displace their homeless people come to mind.
    It is now 11 pm. We've been on the road for two hours and the guests are starting to feel tired. Everyone? Not at all! For one elderly fellow, whom I'll call Rudi, the evening is only just beginning. He sets up his music system and begins to enthral the room with cultural music.
    Some travellers - myself included - keep glancing over at Rudi and then at the waiters who should be concerned that everybody in the room feels comfortable. But instead of telling Rudi to be quiet and sensible, they have a nice chat with him.
    A group of people starts dancing and I suspect that there is a solid reason to celebrate that I don't know about. To avoid disturbing the party and still get some rest, I move to another room.
    In the end, I find a fairly comfortable construction of three chairs, which serves as my bed for the night. The designers hadn't reckoned on me being able to squeeze myself snake-like under the armrests. HA!
    Read more