Satellite
  • Day 44

    Birthing Pains

    October 12, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    After toasting the setting sun off the lighthouse point in Finisterre, we walked back the 3 km route with Andrea (Venice), Pamela (Scotland), Mary (England), and hundreds of other pilgrims. Feeling strong, celebratory, and a little sad that The Way was really over this time, we said our last goodbyes.

    BUT Scott and I didn't have to end it there! We got up National Hispanic Day (date Columbus discovered the Americas) and took a bus to the Camino Ingles, starting at A Coruna.

    Arriving at this huge industrial port city without another pilgrim in sight and no information offices, we got into a Starbucks and Googled our escape! Fortunately, a bus out of the city in the direction we wanted to go was scheduled for departure in 20 minutes. We disembarked at Meson Do Vento, stopped for "Comida", got directions to the nearest albergue, and felt renewed optimism on our walk into the country.

    Unfortunately, the only albergue within miles was "Completo" when we arrived. 2 km back on the highway was a hotel and 8 km further was a Casa Rural with room. Triple the price, but further from the city - we jumped at the continued walk to the rural B&B. The "hospitaleiro" thought we were nuts!
    Read more