Satellite
  • Day 12

    Day on the Water

    May 31, 2022 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Today we have the catamaran trip. We are going on an 8-hour trip around Santorini. We will stop at 3 different beaches and have a nice lunch/dinner on the boat. So off we go. We have to meet at one of the local hotels to be picked up in our coach. As with anything here, we use Google Maps to find our path. I have to admit that Google Maps is a pretty good app while we are here but even it can’t always navigate the donkey paths here. We end up making a few U-turns and take twice as long to get there but we make it. It is a 20-seat coach but quite comfy. We all have air vents and the seats are better than some airlines. We stop at various pickup stops and soon we are full. Our driver expertly navigates the windy, twisty roads next to the rock cliff where we could easily plunge to our death. Then the finally when he backs up the coach downhill through parked vehicles to get to the dock. Apparently, Laura has found a new life skill she wishes to conquer.

    We have to walk downhill a little way (which means it’s going to be uphill on the way back!). We get onto the boat and get our safety talk as we pull out of the harbour. This is a nice size vessel which can comfortably carry about 24 people. There is plenty of shade and plenty of sun, take your pick. I sit up top with the captain under the canopy so that I can get a good view of what is around us. He tells me that the company started out with only 2 catamarans and has built up the business to 20 catamarans 2 speed boats and about 150 car rentals. The ride is smooth and the scenery is gorgeous. I love being on the water. For me, there is something freeing about being on the water. The wind in your hair, the colour of the water, the smell of the salt water, yeah this is me.

    We pass by the black beach, white beach and the red beach. Our first swim spot is near another beach just a little bit further. They drop the anchor and get out the masks and snorkels, and lower the steps. Off we go! The water is a little shocking at first because it is cold but you get used to it quickly. As I have mentioned before, I am a lousy diver here because of the salt water I float like driftwood. However, this is a good thing for swimming. There is a little bit of current and you have to exert yourself a little to say within range of the boat. I put on my mask and snorkel and get transformed into another world. In this world there is tranquility and quiet. The water is that clear, slightly turquoise colour. There are small fishies swimming around. Some small rocks in the sandy bottom but no coral. We swim for about 15 minutes and then I get back on board. I dry off in the sun but then head back to the shade. I am not a sun monger so I try to stay in the shade as much as possible. (And reapply the sunscreen frequently) The girls are down below in the smoking area having a great time chatting with new people.

    The next swim spot is the red beach. When we get there, the crew hand out life preservers to everyone because there is a hot spring there and this will tire out the swimmers quickly. I stay on board for this one. I’m not really into the hot springs’ thing. Laura and Nicole however, go in. They have a nice swim there and decide that the mud from the hot springs is good for a facial. The hot springs are basically sulfer so I’m not sure how good this is for their face. However, they are having fun. (Check out the picture).

    Once back on board we are treated to a wonderful meal. The have flounder (breaded and fried in olive oil), chicken and prawns (done on the BBQ), pasta, Greek salad, tzatziki, and bread. Everything was great and I especially liked the flounder. They have unlimited beer, white wine and water all day long. We are having a great day out.

    There is one more swim stop but the three of us stay on board. We head back to the harbour and disembark. We thank the crew for a lovely day. Then we head back up the hill to our coach and head home. We are all bushed from our day out on the water. The link for this lovey cruise is: https://www.santorini-yachts.com/

    Laura however has something special in store for all of us. Apparently the green dinosaur onesy has made it on board. So with a quick change, Laura treats all to her kind of crazy. I'm surprised we didn't have to walk the plank for that one.

    After a shower and a bit of relaxation time, Laura and I head to the grocery store. We cannot drink the water here, so we need to pick up some more for coffee and drinking. I am driving this time (my second time here) and I think I’m getting used to it. Once again we are using Google Maps and have miss some turns because they just look like driveways or alleyways and not streets. However, we get to the store and have no issues. The grocery store here is pretty good, with lots of selections. We get out stuff and head back home. After a small bite to eat.

    We head off to bed to get a good nights rest…or so we thought. Stay tuned for the next adventure.
    Read more