Satellite
  • Day 28

    Victoria, it was your day!

    May 21, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    Sheree organised our visit to Victoria, BC's capital, on Victoria Day - their annual celebration. So good to join the festivities! We ferried the Puget Sound from Seattle to Victoria - a three-hour cruise. We caught the tail end of the parade, giving us a hint of a confident, diverse community.

    Victoria has a long maritime history with an Australian connection - Captain Cook visited in 1778. The city, despite a strong First Nation foundation, became very British until a few years ago. According to a local Diner owner, "Many different cultures have discovered the benefits of living in one of Canada's friendliest cities, mild winters and easy access to cities, wilderness and ocean.”

    In today's parade there were Taiwanese, Nepalese, Spanish, Mexican, French, Turkish, amongst other cultures, represented, so this city has matured. A building boom matching Brisbane, is in progress - the locals own this space, First Nations included!

    By mid afternoon we were in brilliant sunshine, around 18 degs, with a slight southerly breeze. That breeze was coming straight off the water and a snow-covered Olympic Mountain Range, Washington Penisula, USA. We celebrated our visit and look forward to visitng Butchart Gardens. Can't wait!!
    Read more