Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    En route to Millaa Millaa (inland)

    September 29, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    We had to vacate our pitch by 10am, so needed to engage our brains a bit. Not a slick departure, but going in the right direction, and as we pulled away we were gratified to note all leads had been detached and no camp infrastructure was following behind us.

    First stop Mossman Gorge (which I envisaged to be a quiet view) but turned out (mainly) to be a swimming hole, packed with folk. Col become one of those folk and took a dip ‘the water’s cooooool’.

    Saw the bluest of butterflies (too quick to snap) and a bush turkey, rifling through people’s bags for pickings 😁

    We walked through the rainforest on walkways, giving us a great view of the lower canopy and the plants weaving their way up trunks, and attached, parasite like, to their hosts.

    We crossed a wobbly bridge and watched the river from above, listening to the native creatures and family arguments as parents tried their hardest to keep their kids in check.

    After a couple of hours we arrive at our next stop over. How different each site is, Millaa Millaa is rural, more spacious and each pitch is more private, compared to Wonga beach camp. The facilities are fresher and it’s generally less ‘bush camp’!
    Read more