Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    On the move again…..

    October 1, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    On the way to our next stop, we arrived at Paranella Park. https://www.paronellapark.com.au/

    As we walked to the ticket office to find out more, we were accosted by the most enthusiastic man on the planet, telling us about the place. Then we went in to the ticket office and the person behind the counter carried on where the man (who turned out to be the owner) had left off. It felt like a hard sell and an assault on our senses. Despite all we bought tix and went in!

    Due to lack of research (courtesy of very patchy wi-fi/ phone signals) I’d made (the incorrect) assumption it was a theme park, so not really my thing. I was wrong. It was actually the site of an old house built by a family back in the 40’s. The grounds were huge, rainforest, bamboo, giant kauri trees, waterfalls, all with a ‘lost kingdom’ ambiance. It was a really lovely afternoon, walking through the forest, discovering remains of the old house, listening to the tree-top sound effects.

    Not far away was Mission Beach camp, our next stop. OMG, the place is packed. We’re literally jammed in like sardines, very little personal space, which after the peace and tranquillity of Millaa Millaa is a bit overwhelming.

    The palm tree encircled beach is beautiful though, with the ocean gently lapping, sporting the tropical vibe of the coast line here. The surf replacing the birdie and insect sound effects.

    After we’ve settled, we pat ourselves on the back, having cooked yet another dinner with our limited facilities. Later, we look up at the sky, to see unknown Southern Hemisphere constellations twinkling down on us.
    Read more