Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Capricorn Caves

    October 13, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    About 40 mins from where we’re staying (Emu Park - no emus tho’) is Capricorn Caves.

    One of the oldest tourist sites in Queensland apparently, having been going for 100 years. It’s not an underground cave system, the caves are in the rock face. Also not damp like some caves, so minimal stalactites too.

    When the guide turned off all the lights for a few mins, the blackness was unbelievable - at first comforting and enveloping in its inkiness - but long term, no thanks!

    To add to the ambiance, there was a colony of micro bats: https://www.allaboutbats.org.au/little-bent-win…

    We could see their shadows darting about, because the dim light caught them as they flew around. We tip toed by their colony - couldn’t see them - but we could hear them. As they chatter, bicker and socialise, their calls sound like trickling water! Very cool.

    After the caves we drove down the coast to Yeppoon, where we had a cuppa and mosey around.

    Matty takes us back to our site and after a cuppa and walk on the totally deserted beach, we wait for the micro bats bigger cousins, flying foxes: https://www.allaboutbats.org.au/little-red-flyi…

    We caught a glimpse of them last night, as dusk fell, the skies filling up with their silhouettes. Then today it took us a min, but we realised we could see them hanging in the trees, a few feet from us! Their wings wrapped round them like sheets of filo around a strudel. Every so often one might stretch a leg or reposition their wing.

    As the light faded tonight, we see them stretching their on the branches, chattering, grumbling, waking up (they’re much noisier than the micro bats). Then they start to take off, short circuits at first, as they warm up, ready for their long-haul flights, which will keep them out until dawn. For the next 15 mins or so, the sky is full as they take to the air in shifts, making their way to wherever. It’s really exhilarating to watch (whilst inwardly hoping they don’t poop on your head!)
    Read more