Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Camp observations

    October 21, 2022 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 23 °C

    and the perils of being a shortie 😬

    Showers
    They’re like shopping queues - you think you’ve chosen a good one, but someone else’s always seems better after the fact.

    It all starts off well, abundant hot water, satisfying water pressure. Then someone starts up their shower. Your hot water turns cold and into a trickle. Just at the point when your hair is fully lathered and needs a good rinse.

    Forget to mention shower mops. Often a mop is provided so you can clean the shower cubicle once you’ve finished. Well, turns out these mop are full of horrors. If they’re not well rinsed, they stink, but the worst bit is seeing other people’s hair clumped on the bottom, which then gets deposited into the cubicle you’re trying to clean 🤢🤢🤢

    Hand driers
    So many are installed high up. Why? I have to hold my hands way above my head to dry them (I would say this isn’t just a shorties prob). Being so high is neither comfortable or natural and the water drips down my arms, ending up in my arm pits.

    Laundry
    An essential part of any holiday longer than two weeks (or is it just us who have a finite number of undies?)

    I have used the Rolls Royce of washers and dryers, right down to the Austin Allegro of facilities (and just as old).

    The former are clean, fluff free, high tech, program timings, card payment, with a reassurance the washing will be ok.

    The latter is often rusty, no idea if you’re doing a cold or boil wash (disaster) no idea how long it will take, undefinable ’bits’ lurking in the drum, and of course uses an obscure combo of coins, which are never on your person.

    Washing lines
    I know I’m a shortie, but most washing lines/whirrlies seem to be made for giants. I choose not to use them for that key reason, but also we can’t afford to lose any of our stuff, should someone take a shine to it!

    Door hooks
    All the bathrooms have hooks on the doors, conveniently sited at the highest point of the door, and out of reach of this blogger!!

    Awning/gazebo
    Matty doesn’t have an awning. Turns out that is more of an issue than we realised (sorry Matty)

    ALL the other rigs have their indoor living accom, AND an awning or gazebo. The space and shade (from both sun and more recently, rain) these shelters offer can’t be underestimated. You can sit, store things and dry washing under them, as well as increasing your living space substantially.

    We considered buying a gazebo early on, but due to cost and uncertainty about space available on our booked sites, we didn’t. Now halfway in its prob too late to make a U turn (although there are a lot of these about…. )
    Read more