Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 37

    The 🔆 shines and an old friend

    October 24, 2022 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 20 °C

    Monday morning and at last we wake up to sun. The sky is blue, the air is warm on our backs and we can start to dispel the dampness in our bones, clothes, shoes….

    The other day we made a trip to the Glass House Mountains. It was wet (of course) so they were obscured (although we had a warming brew up there to raise our spirits).

    We realised it would be a splendid view today, so we motored on up the hill. We weren’t disappointed.

    The sun continued to shine, as we drove to Matty’s spiritual home (Maui depot, Brisbane). We picked up some fresh sheets and towels (still resolutely brown) and some toilet t-bags. You bung one of these in the ‘waste cassette’ each time it’s emptied (by a very galant and unsqueamish Col). Brisbane was where we first arrived 28 days ago - that was some round trip!

    Our next visit was to Redlands, to meet up with John. John is the husband of my oldest friend (Anna). We were due to see them in 2020, but covid got in the way. Tragically, Anna then succumbed to an infection, and passed away (over two years ago now). Big gulp.

    Seeing John was great, we talked about Anna the whole time, she was defo with us. I managed to hang on to my emotions - just - and it was both a happy and poignant meeting up. Lovely lunch at the Redlands Bay Hotel, which John said he’d been to with Anna in the past ❤️

    Hoping to catch up with Anna’s daughters later in the trip 😊

    After we said our (emotional) goodbyes, we carried on to our stop for the next three nights: Tweed Heads.

    Most exciting of all - we were dipping our toes into a new state: New South Wales! To our surprise, the clocks went forward an hour, which confused our senses somewhat 🤪
    Read more