Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 51

    Another driving day starting from…

    November 7, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    … Armidale, ending in Warrumbungle. Via Tamworth (home of Australia’s country music scene and a big gold guitar), and Gunnedah (home of the rural museum.

    The museum was packed with long ago discarded home and electrical items, machinery and a mega range of miscellaneous and historical bits and bobs - a real treasure trove for those over a certain age. The guys working there were so lovely, sharing their passion for the unloved items of our past.

    As we drove on, it started raining and the roads became more and more pot holey, with a lot of surface water. My grip on the seat became more claw like and knowing there were flood alerts around, I was ‘vigilant’.

    We eventually arrived at our stop for the next two nights. Camp Blackman was (not unsurprisingly) riddled with deep puddles. Matty had to negotiate a few to get us through, but wow, once we stepped out, what a beautiful, remote, wild and wet place. There was a kookaburra on our electric hookup and other abundant wildlife singing in the trees. Best of all we finally came face to face with the elusive kangaroos that had been so absent from our travels! They were everywhere - doing their ‘roo thing. Adorable.

    When we’d booked originally, we had hoped this ‘dark skies’ camp would allow us to stare into jewel encrusted skies, viewing distant planets and galaxies. Reality: the weather was grey, misty and damp, so the prospect of a star or planet was virtually nil - how bloomin’ typical!

    After dinner we went to wash up, but there was no light in the communal area or the loo and it was DARK! We washed under the lights of two small torches. Note to self - leave washing until the following morning!
    Read more