Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Thermal pools and views

    April 27, 2023 in Hungary ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Our last day. We’ve seen a lot and walked a fair distance this week and it’s been brill. However, today we’re kicking back a bit, and we spent most of the day at Gellert Baths.

    Budapest has lots of baths/ thermal spas and this one was recommended, so off we went. It was indoors (although there is an outdoor pool, but too cold for that at the mo) and was an old style bathing establishment.

    It’s architecture and decor was beautifully ornate and the vibe is sedate (no dive bombing or heavy petting!) A place to relax, chat and people watch….. We couldn’t help but notice a number of girlies who were only too happy to show off their boobs (real or not!) in itsy, bitsy teeny weeny yellow polka dot bikinis (phones in hands, whilst in the pools!). They snapped away unconsciously, filling up their Insta feeds with smiles and poses!

    The thermal pools were glorifying hot, calming and medicinal. I could feel the warmth penetrating my bones and it felt very good.

    The main pool was a tad cooler, but allowed Col to swim a few proper laps (although he did get scolded in Hungarian by the life guard, for following the wrong swimming direction convention!)

    The final thermal pool was 38 degrees Celsius and like being wrapped up in a warm cozy cocoon. I’m not known for my love of watery pursuits, but this was fab.

    We eventually emerged into the sun, right next to a look out point offering a view of the city. It was quite a steep climb, but worth the effort in the warm sun. There are no high rises here, so you get to see the city vista without unwelcome visual interruptions. It was superb and worth the creaky knees!

    Last night: dinner out and (if we stay awake), a late tram ride to see the city at night.
    Read more