Satellite
  • Day 6

    Exploring Kristiansand, Norway

    June 4, 2019 in Norway ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    At 8am we had docked. We didn’t get ourselves off the boat until about 9:00 and the town centre is only a kilometre from our berth. Not much open early so we walked and saw the sights rather than shop. While looking at a map, a young lady approached and asked if we needed directions. We had no idea of even where we wanted to go but her accent sounded familiar and we asked where she was from. She is from Canada of course, and has lived here for the last 8 years. She gave us directions to the library where we could access free internet and also to a wool shop where we could get everything we needed to knit a sweater. Being courteous Canadians, we followed her to the wool shop.
    The town centres around the Kristiansand Cathedral. There is a large town square with sculptures, fountains and monuments. There are also food trucks and kiosks for every trinket you may want.
    Posebyen, Kristiansand’s Old Town is a residential area that has kept its charm intact. The homes are low, wooden houses characteristic of a past era.
    We went back to the boat for lunch and Dianne found a new way to get free wine. She asked to see the sommelier who provided a list of wine choices. She informed him she had a package, referring to the bottles of wine she purchased from Oceania at the beginning of the cruise. I’m pretty sure she winked at him. There was a rose’ in her bottles of wine, and she ordered a rose’. The sommelier thought the package was the daily drink package for basically unlimited drinks and he poured her a glass of wine without even asking her name. I think it was the wink.
    Read more