Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Conclusion.

    April 9 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Conclusion

    An adventuresome trip, most enjoyable indeed. A very pleasant and sociable sail up the coast to Geraldton in very good offshore conditions, albeit the wind dropped right out for the latter part.
    A rather challenging passage across from Geraldton to Pelsaert Island, with some interesting navigation.

    A little frustrating the first two days moored up with the strong E winds being very persistent.

    Very satisfying catching the Baldchin Groper, very chuffed.

    Then some good time connections with Scott and his mates. Especially the seafood fiesta! A good learning curve for any future forays up there.

    A leisurely passage back to Pt Denison, with a couple of enjoyable days there before driving back. I find PD-Dongara a very easy going place, with excellent facilities and an easy, friendly vibe.

    A huge thanks to Lesley and Tony for having me along. Special times indeed.

    Footnote:
    The Fremantle Sailing Club’s publication Western Australia Cruising Guide is a fabulous guide to sailing the whole of the WA coast. The section on The Abrolhos Islands is very informative. Fabulous info resource, 400+ pages. It is updated every few years and is available as a purchasable PDF from the club.
    Read more