Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Fallen Trees and an Australian Cobberdog

    September 21, 2023 in Switzerland ⋅ 🌧 19 °C

    For today's journey to Montreux, we chose to travel first class on the GoldenPass Express which runs from the heart of the Swiss Alps to Lake Geneva, following an old trading route that has been used since the Middle Ages. The entire train has an elegant and beautiful design with large windows that allow you to fully appreciate the view. Thanks to a complex gauge changing system that my brother Alastair will be only too happy to explain, you can complete the journey without the need to change train, despite the route involving different track widths. We were served a lunch of antipasti and wine, which we tried and failed to leave untouched until after 12 noon.

    One of the catering staff, having conversed with the Canadian couple across the aisle, first in French then in a Swiss-accented English, turned to us and in the broadest Glasgow accent asked "Are you guys Scottish" She told us she grew up between Glasgow and Edinburgh and has a Scottish Mother and Swiss father. The longer we chatted the stronger her Scottish accent was let loose. We established she was from Coatbridge and her aunt works in Wishaw General. Small world.

    The journey to Zweisimmen was nice but not as Heidi-esque as I had anticipated - or perhaps we have now grown accustomed to the beauty around us. There was a longish wait at Zweisimmen while the train silently switched to the narrow gauge and after this point we began to climb back into the mountains and Heidi-ville returned as we passed through green valleys full of traditional wooden chalets.

    Taking photos from a moving train is very hit and miss. There are reflections from the windows to contend with and the slight delay between the decision and the actual capture almost invariably means a tree or a pylon will be in the middle of the shot. But the scene is too pretty not to try and perhaps if you try enough times you will get that one picture that captures the essence of the scene and will stir the memories for years to come.

    I felt the need to visit the toilet on the train just to fully appreciate the full five star experience. Picture a toilet on the Glasgow to Edinburgh train at any time of the day and then try to imagine something as far away from that as possible. When I had finished and washed my hands (yes I am one of the 53% of males who do), I was immediately greeted by a loud bing-bong. However, rather than offering congratulations for a job well done, it was the start of a train announcement for the next stop.

    Sadly the last section of the line was closed by fallen trees that took out the power grid, so we missed the steep, winding descent through the vineyards into Montreux. We transferred onto a waiting replacement bus service at Montbovon to complete the journey by road. We were already aware of this as the train company had informed us by email the evening before and arranged to refund our seat reservation fees (about 20% of the overall price) as compensation. We are not in Kansas now Dorothy.

    We were met at the station by Maria's sister Becky, as she and her family live in Montreux. She very kindly took us to her house for tea and cake (my reputation for cake precedes me) and introduced us to Sidney, their adorable Australian Cobberdog. It was great to catch up with Becky and her family as we haven't seen them since Grahame and Maria's wedding in 2019. We were also grateful for the lift to the hotel, where we are now sitting with a nice glass of wine.
    Read more