Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 71

    Wittlebee to Woolshed Cave.

    September 24, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 20 °C

    After leaving Wittelbee Conservation Park we continued down the west coast of the Eyre Peninsula to Steaky Bay. We stayed here a few years back and it really is a nice little place but time only allowed for a short stop for morning tea and a walk down to the jetty. We then headed for the sea lions at Point Labatt. Being Australia's largest mainland colony and the only place on Australia's mainland where you can see Australian sea lion pups learn to swim and play, it is a not miss place. Take you binoculars for an even better view. Even though they are a long way down the clliff you can still hear them, especially when a pup decides to wander off alone.
    We left the sea lions and called in at Murphy's Haystacks. These weathered granite rocks are in a farmers paddock, just of the road and are amazing.
    Next stop and our camp for the night was Woolshed Cave. After setting up we ventured down the stairs to the waters edge and the Cave. With its sandstone rocks of various colours and wild seas (not while we were there, but they could be) and this fantastic, quite deep cave, with a honeycomb looking ceiling carved into the rock. This is a bucket list place.
    We had a fairly dark looking storm build up late but it went around with just a few drops of rain but a beautiful rainbow 🌈.
    We had dinner on our laps, around the campfire. A fine end to a great day.
    Read more