Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 71

    Bali, Indonesia

    March 2 in Indonesia ⋅ ☁️ 81 °F

    Monuments, Temples, friends, mopeds, and monkeys! We visited Taman Ayun and Tanah Lot Temples. We stopped by artists carving wood and making jewelry. We toured an orchid farm and spent an afternoon with an old friend who now lives in Bali. During our visit, David and Adi took us around on scooters and served a delicious local lunch. It was definitely a highlight of our trip. Finally, I went to a 12 step meeting which was truly wonderful.

    Taman Ayun Temple - Pura Taman Ayun is a compound of Balinese temple and garden with water features located in Mengwi subdistrict in Badung Regency, Bali, Indonesia. The temple garden was featured on the television program Around the World in 80 Gardens. In 2012, the Subak cultural landscape of Bali including Pura Taman Ayun was inscribed as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.

    Tanah Lot Temple - Tanah Lot means "Land [in the] Sea" in the Balinese language. The temple sits on a large offshore rock which has been shaped continuously over the years by the ocean tide. The main deity of the temple is Dewa Baruna or Bhatara Segara, who is the sea god or sea power. The temple is one of seven sea temples around the Balinese coast. Each of the sea temples was established within eyesight of the next to form a chain along the south-western coast. In addition to Balinese mythology, the temple was significantly influenced by Hinduism.

    UBud Monkey Forest - Home to almost 1,000 monkeys! This is a 12 hectare (30 acre) jungle area surrounding an old 14th century Hindu temple, located in the heart of Ubud. The local monkey species is called the Balinese long-tailed macaque, or crab-eating macaque. The scientific name is Macaca fascicularis.
    Read more