Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 110

    Cape Town, South Africa

    April 10 in South Africa ⋅ 🌬 68 °F

    We came into Cape Town and did a food tour with a few of our friends from the ship. The day started with a rainy attempt at making it up to Table Mountain which was socked in with fog.

    We visited The Company’s Garden which is the oldest garden in South Africa. The garden was originally created in the 1650s by the region's first European settlers and provided fertile ground to grow fresh produce to replenish ships rounding the Cape.

    Sadly, as we walked through Cape Town, there were still remnant of its racially segregated past. 💔

    We went to the Bo-Kaap neighborhood which is known for its brightly coloured homes and cobblestoned streets. The area is traditionally a multicultural neighbourhood, with more than half of its population identifying as Muslim. There was a lot of street art that reflected political views.

    The highlight was learning to make Samosas at a local woman’s private home. A samosa is a fried South Asian pastry with a savoury filling, including ingredients such as spiced potatoes, onions, peas, meat, or fish. It is made into different shapes, including triangular, cone, or crescent, depending on the region.

    Our chef/host, Hermita, had a cat that we adored who reminded us of our own Sophie and Emma back home.

    The day concluded with a sunny shot of Table Mountain taken once we got back on the ship.
    We ended up staying in Cape Town two days due to high winds but on the second day, we could not get off the ship so that was our view for the day.
    Read more