Satellite
  • Day 8

    Athens

    April 11, 2017 in Greece ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    We were told yesterday that our hosts would be providing us breakfast. It was an uncomfortable morning. We just sat there staring at it for 30 minutes. The bread was stale, the apples old and mushy and there was 2 random eggs. We ate as much as we could but barely made a dent. Luckily they weren't there to watch us. They have a dog which I was super excited to see on the balcony. They let him inside so I could have a pat :)
    Our first job of the day was to get some money out so we went searching for an ATM and took our dirty laundry with us to take to the laundromat after. Will got the shits big time because i accidentally closed the maps on my phone so we couldn't find the laundromat and had to go back home. We asked our hosts if we could borrow there washer which they agreed to - or rather the daughter volunteered her mum. Lol
    We then Skyped mum and dad. It bowl was sooo good to see/talk with them. I asked mum to get the cat so I could say hello. I like to think he was uninterested because the computer froze so he didn't see me properly............
    We said bye then we set off for the Stadium.
    We caught our first international bus. Woohoo!
    I find buses scary, even Australian ones, but we managed. We got off at syntagma square and walked towards the stadium, on the way we stopped at the Zappeion which is where the head of the man who payed for the rebuilding/fixing of the Olympic stadium is buried and it is now just used for official ceremonies and meetings. It hosted the fencing in the 1896 games.
    We arrived at the panathenaic stadium and the tickets only cost 5€, winning! I was super excited, I love the olympics. We got free audio guides and started our tour. It talked about the reconstruction of the stadium then showed us the designated seats for the king and queen to watch from. We went through this random tunnel and found all the past torched from the Olympic Games and some of the winter games as well. Compared to many others I though our torch was one of the better ones. Seoul's was my favorite. The beacon they use to light the torch was there too.
    It also had history on the battle of the marathon.
    The marathon was created to commemorate a Greek runner who was sent to run 26.2 miles to share the news of victory over the Turks to the Athenians but died upon arrival.
    It was the Main event in the Olympics for many years.
    I did a 400 meter run around the track and got photos on the podium.
    The track is an unusual shape, it's 185m straight with 15m curves.
    I loved the stadium, Will got bored pretty quickly though.
    Afterwards we went to browse the flea markets.
    Will, the big IDIOT got conned BIG TIME and bet 50€ on some stupid gambling card trick that was set up on the side of the road on a cardboard box......
    the dealer would place 3 cards down and then the aim of the game was to pick the card with colour. The people around us kept getting it wrong and Will kept getting it right.
    He bet and lost...
    They were all working together and in on the ploy.....
    We had some stiff words.
    We went to a cafe to just sit for a while. I had a delicious Greek salad and Will had some beers. I liked this cafe. It was the first time I think we both were really content in Greece. We then went back to the flea markets to buy oil I had spotted earlier. They do some GREAT oil. I don't know why it's different but it is. We are going to send it home along with the few other things we've bought some time before we head up to Thessaloniki.

    On our way we found a fish foot spa. I have always wanted to do it but didn't think I'd be able to cause I HATE being tickled. I can't handle it. It was only 10€ for 10 minutes though and we thought we might as well try something new to add to our adventure.
    We had to wash our feet first then they checked for open wounds to help stop the spread of infection.
    It was the most bizarre feeling, sort of like pins and needles. Will had done it before in Thailand and said these fish weren't nearly as bed because they were bigger and not as many.
    I only squealed half a dozen times and kept my feet in the tank the whole time. So proud.
    We chatted with some Canadians while we were just sitting.
    I LOVED IT AND SO HAPPY I DID IT :D

    I bough a small magnet of 'the evil eye' which is super Greek. Its basically mythology that wards of negativity.
    Will bought a sponge. I don't know why but he is excited. It's very Greek too but I'm surprised at his interest in it.
    Our phone search has been unsuccessful again today. If we bought sims they only work in Greece? -.- stupid.
    We then went walking, trying to figure out how to get home. We forgot to look at the bus number in the morning so we dedicated to walk in the right general direction looking for somewhere for dinner for Will.
    It's ridiculously hard to find Greek food. Everywhere that sells it only has menus in Greek which isn't helpful.
    We were lucky tonight though. SO HAPPY. I got some tzatziki :D Will got a kebab. We then got a taxi home.
    Glad the day is over but it was my favorite day so far :)

    Penis up/dangles story of the toilet
    Read more