Satellite
  • Day 41

    Work Away

    May 14, 2017 in Bulgaria ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Woke up about 5 times during the night for no obvious reason but I didn't mind because each time I still had so long to sleep which is the best feeling when you see the clock and have 5 hours to go.
    Once awake we had Frosties for breakfast. I'm not sure if I've ever had them before but I liked them.
    I put shorts on again cause it was roasting and our first job was to work in the garden again, getting space ready for 2 more tents.
    Being the most inexperienced gardener I know, I was a little concerned when I had to handle their precious crops, but I did good :)
    I had to use a shovel to dig up lettuces and replant them and then water.
    I had to move some onions too.
    Another job was for me to go over a section of soil and remove old rose tree sticks Baba Penka had planted in the hope of growing rose bushes (it didn't work out)
    Will de weeded the yard while this was happening.

    They own a lavender field but haven't maintained it. While we were gardening Danny went to look at it and came back with the news that he think it might be workable so off we went.

    While this big tracker did something and Danny took soil samples Will, Johanna and I cut out the trees and wild berries bushes that had taken up residence there.
    I started out with a little hoe but ended up stealing the scissors cause it's funner and easier.
    Me and Will stuck together and we were on fire. #Ateam.
    I cut then he hacked.
    My legs and arms got covered in scratches though. The wild berries bushes were assholes to get rid of.
    Will had to use all his muscles to dig up some of the roots - they were massive!
    At the end we had to go back over the field and find all the tree parts because we were silly and didn't make obvious piles as we went along.
    The field looks much better but still looks like shit. It's very patchy, and overgrown. There is more wild grass than there is lavender.
    The views were spectacular though. I'm starting to think everywhere is here.
    I think I've mentioned it everyday.

    On the way home Danny stopped into some field so say hi to some people. There soil looked far softer and easier to move.
    We then went to the store where Danny bought 4 different chocolate bar varieties for me and Will to sample. ( 8 chocolates in total :D)
    We tried one when we got home And it tasted like a picnic. The others are all wafer varieties. Apparently Bulgarians are big on wafers lol.
    Danny also bought heaps of juice including a sour cherry flavored juice which tasted better than expected.
    It was essentially watered down cough medicine though.
    Near the store we saw another horse and carriage and the same dog I've seen for the past few days which breaks my heart. Every time I've seen it it's been desperately running around searching bins. It has big tits as well so probably has a litter hidden somewhere. :,(

    We went home and had some lunch. Then Had some time off. Will set himself up on a lawn chair and I tried in the garden again but it was too hot. I ended up in a new spot on the balcony which was a little too windy :/

    Once we woke up we put up 2 more tents. The first one required no effort. You just throw it and it pops open.
    The second one was your standard design but looked quite small.
    Our next house chore was to pump up the tires on the bikes (well, Danny did it not us lol) and then me and Will went for a quick bike ride.
    It took me a little while to get the hang of riding again. It wasn't the balancing aspect but more the push off and understanding the gears. I prefer bikes who have the pedal backwards break function like my little girl bike lol.
    We went for a ride down to the lake and the then back up past Baba Penkas house. Riding uphill burnt the thighs haha.

    Will has been complaining non stop about wanting a hair cut so we borrowed Danny's electric shaver.
    Oh dear.
    Hahahahahahah.
    My bad.
    I did not do a good job.
    The shaver was so inconsistent. His head is extremely patchy.
    I did a miraculous fix up job with a pair of scissors though so it did improve a lot but it couldn't all be saved...
    My shirt is really itchy cause it has spiked hair in it.
    Because dinner was going to be late because we had to pick up someone in town I ate a chocolate bar on the road. Yum!
    We drove to Nova Zagora (on the way stopping in at one of the rose fields by the lake to see if it was blossoming) and collected Matthew (he is from Canada) from his previous work away hosts at some random round about.
    It probably looked like a hostage exchange.
    He is weird as fuck.
    He doesn't speak loudly and has mannerisms similar to serial killers on SVU.
    People tried to make conversation but it failed and a lot of the car ride was silent.
    We stopped in at a grocery store to stock up on food - I bought some wild berry tea :)
    We ate dinner when home and then played cards.
    Danny didn't play though because he was inside getting paperwork ready for their inspection tomorrow.
    They get inspected once a year to get certified as organic.
    Once again, Matthew is weird. I kept talking to myself in my head saying "stop judging" and yet he gives me the creeps.
    Hopefully he becomes more comfortable but from what he has said about disliking human interactions.. I doubt it.
    Read more