Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Ancient Rome, Italy

    October 4, 2017 in Italy ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    A big day exploring some more of Ancient Rome, the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, Palatine Hill and Piazza Venezia. Our eyes were focused down today whilst trying to conquer the cobblestones and steps. There are still a lot of visitors sightseeing like us, from above we must look like ants climbing over the ruins whilst making our way along the well worn paths.
    At the Colosseum we stood beside a father who was explaining to his child what it was like when the Romans were there, the smell of the animals and men who were held in the cages under the arena. The roar of the crowd from above when the gladiators were fighting and what it must have felt like with dirt falling through the cracks in the wooden floor whilst they waited for their turn in the arena. He was brilliant, I had goosebumps listening and definitely could imagine the scene.
    The Roman Forum area and Palantine Hill would have been downtown Ancient Rome, a bustling city made up of Temples, government buildings, and market places. The size of the ruins we saw today are impressive, it must have been an amazing place in its time.
    Piazza Venezia is the Victory Monument to Vittorio Emanuele II, Italy's first King. One side of the Piazza is the site of Italy's Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
    Read more