Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Aleppey, houseboat and backwaters

    December 4, 2017 in India ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Well famous Kerala backwaters... The plan is simple, go to the harbour and find the cheapest houseboat with full service for our little party and relax.
    So at first accommodation for night. It's really good to be here out of the season because room for three people is possible to get for 800 when the normal price according to price list is 3000. Directly next to the harbour, perfect location.
    Let's go to the harbour and check the prices! First offers around 10000. Ouch... But when we crossed harbour from the end to end twice we have two offers for 8k, so we're waiting till the morning to check one boat which is not there now.
    Meanwhile the city is... Well there are two canals, they're nice for the first look but for the second one. Thrash everywhere. Nice...
    The city is famous only because of the backwaters so in the centre is...drum roll... nothing. It's not completely true, at least they have couple of good restaurants.
    Next day in the morning is time for our negotiation skills! And the results, 6000 for good houseboat and really nice crew.
    So, let's have a breakfast, pack our things and nothing more just relax... funny thing is that even we're in India is possible to meet friends from IIT. As in our case when we met one guy from campus on our way for a breakfast.
    So we're ready. We have all necessary things as our backpacks, good mood, beers, rum... that's it! Time to go.
    Whole trip was filled with amazing views. Just sitting on the roof and looking around. Exhaustive exchange semester. And after lunch we figured out that we have really good chef with us because the fish and curries were really good!
    The rest of the day we spent with chilling on the mattresses and drinking beers... Well as a proper pirates we switched to rum after dinner. With sunset to look at. Wow...
    Morning was quite weird. We parked no so far from main harbour and from the crew's behaviour was obvious that the end is coming. We didn't stop for a breakfast, we had it during the journey and also there weren't morning tea! The gas tank was empty.
    So quite disappointed but in good mood we left the boat and took a morning tea in tea stall.
    Time to move!
    Read more