Satellite
  • Day 10

    The freedom rides & more artesian baths

    August 29, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    Woke up in the free camp in Walgett this morning and Gadi read the information boards on his morning walk all about the freedom rides in 1965, where aboriginal activist (Charles Perkins) then a uni student lead a group of University of Sydney students on a bus campaign through several outback NSW towns to protest indigenous inequality.

    Based on the freedom riders in the United States in the early 60s, we learnt that in Walgett the bus stopped and Charles made an impassioned speech at the RSL, which at that time refused entry to indigenous people, not even allowing entry to returned soldiers. Endemic racism in Walgett was beamed into the homes of thousands watching the news, when the president of the RSL was caught on camera saying he would never let an aboriginal person into the club.

    The publicity gained raised consciousness of racial discrimination across NSW at the time.

    We left the camp ground late morning and headed east to our next stop, the outback railway town of Burren Junction. Population around 160, this tiny town no longer even has a shop, but it does boast a pub! And, more importantly, the town maintains a wonderfully warm artesian pool and camp ground, well utilized by passing travelers (mainly nomads).

    Arriving around lunchtime, we found a prime site along a dam irrigating the nearby fields (and giving us a lovely water view). Later in the afternoon (after lunch and a snooze) we changed into our bathers and breathed a sigh of relief as we eased ourselves into the hot, deep waters. We spent a lovely couple of hours soaking, floating and talking to other nomads. We learnt that a couple opposite us have a rainbow lorikeet they rescued as a baby that fell out of its nest and broke its wing, so we chatted all things ‘bird’ related.

    We stayed in the pool until the sun set low on the horizon creating a thin orange and flame red line along the horizon. As I made my way back to the caravan in near darkness, I took in the beautiful reds, oranges and yellows of the setting sun along the dam. Just as I reached the van I heard a ‘thump thump’ sound and was privileged to witness a dozen kangaroos silent (other than the sounds of their hooves thudding) as they hopped along the ridge above the dam, one after the other.

    Dinner of leftover lasagne tonight and it was time to turn in for the night.

    Today I am thankful for so much - finding a relaxing place to stay awhile, beautiful hot water to float in, great weather and lovely neighbours all around. To see the kangaroos hop by against the last bit of sunset was just the icing on the cake!
    Read more