Satellite
  • Day 50

    Crocs and Beaches

    October 8, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    We had brekky outside under the awning with our son and my mum and decided to drive to Port Douglas and Mossman Gorge today. By the time we got ourselves organized it was close to 12 noon before we left.

    First stop was at the gorgeous Ellis Beach where we all piled out to walk along the pristine sand towards the distant palm trees.

    We continued driving north and half way there had a change of plans and we decided to do a crocodile river cruise on the Daintree River instead. We headed there first (over 100km away!) and had a picnic lunch of chicken and salad wraps sitting in the shade while we waited to board the boat.

    We all boarded the solar powered narrow vessel which was whisper quiet, including Cadbury, with only six people on our cruise. Our boat captain and guide was very passionate about crocodiles and the local bird life/environment and he gave us a lot of information. We saw quite a few crocodiles, mostly just their heads bobbing along the shore but we saw a couple of small 1-2 year old crocs up on the bank. One small croc was feeding among the weeds close to shore so we got to see him snapping his mouth open and shut.

    After our tour ended we drove to Port Douglas and had a look around town before heading to the river to take in the sunset. We didn’t stop to eat there as I didn’t want to drive back to Cairns on the windy, narrow coastal road in the dark.

    After a quick stop at the beach we drove back to Cairns, dropping Gadi and Cadbury back at the caravan park - to watch Survivor. The rest of us then went to a local bistro for a steak special.

    Back home and time to chill out and relax. Tomorrow we will take it easy around Cairns!

    Night night from FNQ
    Read more