Satellite
  • Day 45

    Hello Hobart

    February 21, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 16 °C

    The train, which is what the locals call their subway or underground system, was only two long blocks away. I got on what I thought was the airport express but on the way to the first stop I realized this was not the right train. So I hopped off, as well as one lugging a 20 kg suitcase can hop, and I was on my way on the next train. Security at the airport was much more lax than I am used to. Shoes don’t have to be removed and I was allowed to bring my full bottle of water with me. The main thing they were concerned about was aerosols, such as puffers.

    It was a smooth two-hour flight to Hobart, the capital of the state of Tasmania. I purchased a return fare on the Sky Bus for $33, which took me within three blocks of my next home. I was able to get a last-minute reduced rate on a one-bedroom apartment at the Mantra Hotel, a 1920s heritage building. For less than the price of a hotel room I have a large apartment with a partial kitchen plus the added bonus of a washer and dryer, much needed at this point. On check-in I asked about the possibility of insects as I was getting tired of being on alert for them. I was happy to hear that there would be none as it is generally too cold in Tasmania for most bugs, unlike the tropical environment in Sydney.

    I headed to the local Woolies to stock up on food. On my way I came across a free Friday evening music event at one of the parks. The music was the blues so I stopped and listened for awhile. It reminded me of the Grand Forks concerts as there were all age groups there.

    The population of Hobart is just over 240,000, 45% of the total population of Tasmania. Founded in 1804 as a British penal colony it is the second oldest city in Australia, second only to Sydney. The city is hilly and of course my hotel is situated at the top of a hill. The temperature is going to be much cooler here and it will definitely be a more relaxing week than in Sydney.
    Read more