Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    San Juan to Burgos

    September 26, 2023 in Spain ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    A later post tonight as we have hit the city lights of Burgos. What a contrast to San Juan where the only noises were roosters and cow bells!
    I must say though that last night we had the best meal. Black pudding, pork loin chops and salad. All for about 35 per person that included 2 bottles of red wine. Burgos region is famous for black pudding made from pigs blood! Best we don't know.
    So we had a very early night and then up early and on the road by 645 am with head torches on. We walked about 5 km and came to a cafe in Ages, tiny village and had our coffee and croissant fix.
    On we walked with the sun rising and saw our first lot of sheep in ages. Even heard bird song which has been a rare sound.
    Climbed a pretty steep hill and walked through forests but the the fun part of the walk was over! After another stop at a roadsidecafe we walked and walked along roads and crossed major highways until we walked into the industrial area of Burgos.
    We tried to find the alternative route via a river but alas it was never found!
    It was hot and I guess we were getting hangry but on we trudged. I guess it was a good reminder to us that Spain is not just about cute little villages and pilgrim walks!
    We did pass on our way the site of some of the first human relics found at Atapuerca and is now a world heritage site.
    Finally we arrived at our destination but the hostel didn't open until 4 pm so what were 4 tired pilgrims to do but have a long Spanish lunch under the shade of plane trees.
    Burgos is such a contrast to the quiet villages we have been staying at and tonight it was warm and so many out and about. We witnessed the Burgos rugby club being cheered on in the square for winning the Spanish rugby championship and apparently 2 kiwis are in the team
    The women here seem very stylie and our rather crumpled pilgrim clothes seemed a bit out of place.
    Rest day tomorrow and our legs need it so we will do relaxing sight seeing and laundry! 26 km walked today
    Buenos noches
    Read more