Satellite
  • Day 5

    Arches National Park

    October 20, 2016 in Germany ⋅ ⛅ 6 °C

    We left Ely yesterday, Monday after the winds had calmed down. The storm that ravaged the Northwest blew through Nevada for several days. The only dread we have to date about this travel of ours is even the new truck doesn't tow like we think it should. The computer kicks in when we're going down hill running the RPM's through the roof. Climbing is tedious to say it nicely. Stan was frasseled last night when we arrived. We need to earnestly reassess the truck in Santa Fe come November.

    Arches National Park was a thrill for Paulette today. Stan has played in the neighborhood on his winter travels in the past few years, but it was a first for P. We even did a 2 mile hike! Time will tell tomorrow if it was more than Stan's body can tolerate, but it felt grand. The Landscape Arch is a sight to behold. After a partial collapse in 1991, it looks too fragile to be real. It is so delicate for a 306 foot span base to base. How did that ever happen?

    Tomorrow is a quick stop at Canyonlands. Friday we travel to Colorado National Monument for a day before proceeding to Carbondale, Colorado for a week of joy with friends & the cold at 10,000 feet! There will be stories there to be sure.
    Read more