Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    KYOTO, JAPAN

    April 4, 2018 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    DAY 1-2

    Japan ❤️. From the warmed toilet seats to the mini-drink vending machines on street corners, I like the way Japan adds its touch to everyday life. And Kyoto is particularly amazing. We are fortunate to be here as the cherry blossoms fall, making for a gorgeous walk through the parks, shrines, and river- getting into cherry blossom leaf fights along the way..

    We found ourselves in the geisha district of Gion. Seems to be a trend where beautiful young Japanese couples rent traditional outfits - kimonos and jinbei and walk along the famous sights trailed by photographers.

    The walk ended up at Nishiki markets.... oh my. Shopping heaven, streets upon streets of stores selling very unique things. Boys found one with live hedgehogs to cuddle. Buz was a true friend and took the boys so I could shop at Amy-pace. Found a couple of dresses at a vintage shop that I fell in love with and bought (guiltily, seeing as suitcases are already overpacked).

    After a few hours chilling in the hotel we persuaded the boys to come to Fushimi Inari shrine. This shrine was built to honour the god of rice, and it’s full of fox statues (messengers to Inari). It was built 1300 years ago (hard to imagine) and is highly photographed in travel books. Easy to see why- the bright orange ‘tunnel’ is fun to walk through. The boys are absolute troopers when it comes to travelling but by tonight were looking a bit weary. Fair enough, given we had clocked up 21,000 steps on the Fitbit today!

    A well-earned sleep, with more treasures tomorrow.

    DAY 3:
    Shrines, temples, and more shrines! Kiyomizu-dera is well worth the hype, whether for the temple itself, the views of Kyoto, or the fun of walking amongst the jumble of kimono-clad women hobbling along in their tabi socks and wooden shoes, through endless narrow streets of souvenir shops.

    Buz is having such a good time with the selfie-stick, too good of a time if you ask the rest of us.
    Read more