Satellite
  • Day 10

    Chicken, AK!

    July 31, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 16 °C

    On our way out of Anchorage we headed north east to Dawson City, Canada.

    On the way to Dawson we stopped in a tiny village (or gathering) called Chicken. Chicken is the smallest village in Alaska with only a handful of residents and about half that come winter.

    Really Chicken is just a small stop on the highway, but a worthy stop.

    Chicken really wasn't much more than a gold miners dredge, bar and a few restaurants- oh, and a few live chickens too!

    We set up tent along the small river and headed to downtown Chicken. A 1 minute drive from uptown. A 1 minute drive and 3 buildings total.

    We started drinking with the locals around 4, and were told that we chose the best night to be in Chicken. Chicken's summer bash 2.0 was happening and we were in luck. Live music, free food and cheap beer. Turns out we also stayed until dark, so it had to have been late, considering how north we were.

    We met some amazing folks from all of the US who sat outside to enjoy the music with us, great conversations and laughs, even a panty canon. (A tradition where you can give your panties or boxers and they blow them up in the parking lot. It took some skill as they packed gun powder and lit up the bomb. Odd, but neat.)

    Sue bought the bar and "shops" 27 years ago and maintains it to this day. She vocally hates when people ask her about her life but loves to talk about herself nonstop- a little bit of an oxymoron. You don't have to ask Sue, she'll tell you anyway (jest). She is looking to sell her operation in the next couple years as it's now a world-known tourist stop. Her son ran the bar the entire night and was as professional as bar tenders get- even though he sees a maximum of 12 patrons a night. The bar was even pet friendly as we had our dogs with us the entire night.

    We met many Europeans this night as well and we were curious on how they got their European cars and vans over. There is a shipping program from Canada to Europe for about $1,500 and 2 weeks and your car is shipped, you then fly over and do your road trip in your own car- pretty cool.

    Chicken is only open a few months a year as the highway to and from is not maintained during the winter from the Canadian or American side. Most of the residents, other than about 4 don't stay over winter.

    Chicken isn't a destination but it's worth the stop, just know you have to create your own experience because the town folk don't do this for you. We loved it!
    Read more