Satellite
  • Day 10

    Coniston and Amberside

    June 29, 2018 in England ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    After the visit to Beatrix Potter's home we visited the Ruskin museum in Coniston. This museum contains information about Donald Campbell and the Bluebird, a replica of the remains of the Bluebird being displayed in a glass cabinet. There was also a video of Donald Campbell's life and various attempts at speed records.
    Afterwards we went to the shore of Lake Coniston where we enjoyed lunch. There were lots of people around with many boats in the water. Probably very similar to inland lakes in Australia except that the sand was a bit coarser. We sat and relaxed and watched the crowds.
    On the way home Keith kindly stopped at Amberside where there is the smallest National Trust house in England. The dry stone bridge on which the house was built was constructed in approx 1500. The house was built slightly later and has a kitchen with a stove and is approx 2m x 3m in area. If you climb some very steep stairs outside there is another room on top of the kitchen roughly the same size. The National Trust rep told us that it had been used as commercial premises for various trades including shoe repairs. One of the photos shows Beryl and Keith in the small kitchen.
    Read more