Satellite
  • Day 146

    Stray - Kong Lor to Thakek

    September 12, 2015 in Laos ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    Today was more about getting to our lunch stop than it was the destination as by Keo's own admission there was not a great deal to do in Thakek. Instead our lunch-stop was at the Khoun Khong Leng Lagoon, also known as 'The Blue Lagoon' because it's bright blue waters, created by the natural springs from which it is formed.

    Picking up a takeaway lunch of stir-fry in styrofoam boxes, we undertook a bruising 21km ride in the back of a 6 wheeler tuk tuk over a red dirt road gouged by heavy rains. We were thrown upwards and sidewards from our bench in the back of the vehicle as it rolled and jolted over the road as if on a rough sea.

    Just as we were questioning the wisdom of the endeavour we arrived at the lagoon. Once the cool water hit our skin to revive us all was forgiven. The lagoon is a popular attraction for locals but its remote location has so far limited the number of foreign tourists. This was noticeable by the reaction of villagers we drove past; children calling out and waving whilst adults stood and stared. Stray has only recently established this as part of their itinerary and we were the first group to enjoy it.

    We ate our lunch on the wooden pier by the lagoon before losing ourselves for an hour or more in the blue waters. We jumped in from a tree and swung above on seat swings. We also found a rope swing to swoop over the lagoon and plummet into the water, cheering each other on as we went.

    With playtime over it was back into the tuk tuk and onto Thakek, where we drank beer on the bank of the Mekong River, which shimmered in the lights of Thailand that lay on the opposite side.
    Read more