Satellite
  • Day 43

    Bridge Walk, Tapas, and Manley

    May 10, 2016 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    Another really busy last day this time in Sydney! I started the day with the Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb. The climb was advertised as the "climb of your life" but to be honest I felt it was quite underwhelming. The view was quite nice but we weren't allowed to take cameras and photos were really expensive so I opted out. But on the plus side I got a complimentary hat and group photo. If you're ever considering doing the climb, don't spend the $278 like I did... just find somewhere else for a nice view!

    The day got significantly better from there. When I got out of the bridge climb Reece was eagerly waiting and we went out searching for some lunch. Reece wanted to try this tapas bar, so we went there. We tried a total of four dishes: lobster sliders, braised pork in lettuce wrap, stuffed red peppers, and some sort of braised chicken in a cheese and tomato salsa sauce. The chicken was our favourite. We also had a sangria each which was made up of wine, gin, tequila, liquor 43, amaretto and some assorted fruit. I had never actually had a sangria and I feel like I was spoiled by this one because it was delicious.

    After we finished there we headed to the opera house but unfortunately we weren't allowed access inside. It was still cool to be able to see the different sails and the things inside them (because almost all the walls are glass). From there we got ice cream. We both chose a combination of coconut and this rich milk chocolate flavor. I think the lady at the counter liked Reece because his was almost twice the size of mine haha. From there we decided to walk to Darling Harbour which was quite nice and quaint. Then we walked back and I had to catch the ferry to Manly (a suburb in Sydney) so we said our goodbyes and until next times!

    The ferry was nice and once again I got to see the sunset with the bridge in the background which was stunning. When I got to Manly I met up with Becca (a British girl I had met in Wanaka NZ). We started by taking a nice walk down Manly beach which was beautiful and the loud crash of the waves in the background was music to my ears. Then we went for dinner and we both decided to try kangaroo steak. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. On that note I can't say it really tastes any different than a regular beef steak, just a bit more gamey.

    We both wanted dessert so we went to the grocery store and both got a cake each and a litre of milk to share. The cakes were massive and in hind sight we should have shared one but it was a funny experience none the less. We then sat in front of Manly beach enjoying our cake. It was really quite hilarious to see all the joggers going by trying to take care of their bodies and here we were, stuffing our faces with cake.

    On the way back to the wharf we has to stop and use the bathrooms. They ended up being downstairs in a sketchy underground parking lot. On the elevator back up, the elevator shook violently twice in a row before opening. Once it did open we jumped out as fast as we could. Then we said our goodbyes and I caught the ferry back. On my way home I saw a homeless man tucked away fast asleep and decided to leave the rest of my cake for him to enjoy when he woke up. I sure hope he likes it!

    Anyways, that was my day! Tomorrow I'm off to Byron Bay!

    -Terrence out!
    Read more