Satellite
  • Day 48

    Quick Couple of Days in Noosa!

    May 15, 2016 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 17 °C

    Saturday May 14th

    So before I set off to Noosa I woke up at 545 with Stefaan and we went to the beach to watch the sunrise! It was the perfect day for it. The weather was relatively warm and there was just enough clouds to make the photos beautiful without covering up the sun! The pinks, oranges, and purples really lit up the sky. Also as we left the beach I got a few funny shots with a prop which you can see in the photos.

    The seven hour bus ride wasn't great, but I made it. Luckily for me there was a shuttle waiting for me so I didn't have to walk from the bus station to the hostel and it was free of charge! Upon checking into the hostel there was almost immediately a welcome night going on for anyone who was new to the hostel that night. There I met Christopher from Seattle and Melissa from France. The three of us chatted a bit and then decided to head out for dinner.

    After a short walk we found a nice Thai place and quickly sat down and ordered. After all the fries that are served here in Australia it was nice to have a stir fry and some rice. It was delicious and hit the spot! After that we went for ice cream and enjoyed rather deep conversations about where we were in life and in our travels. It was nice to share real conversations with people farther than the superficial "where you from? How long are you travelling for? ..." conversations that lead nowhere and are almost automatic to travellers at this point. From there I called it a night.

    Sunday May 15th

    We all decided to do a hike to catch the sunrise again today so we got up at 4:45 and we're off on our hike by 5:15. It was the three of us again plus a french Canadian girl named Marie. By about 6:15 we reached the spot and I witnessed my second sunrise in a row which I'm pretty certain is a new high score for me. Again it was beautiful.

    Our hike took us through the national park here in Noosa. I was hoping for a koala sighting, but no such luck. Regardless the park was full of birds and wild turkeys (which was kind of odd) and so many trees that stretched into the skyline. There were even these skinny branches that reached up tens of meters to the tops but were very loosely connected. It was my theory that the koalas used these branches to slide down like firefighters on the pole haha.

    From there we went and bought some breakfast from the grocery store. We regrouped at the hostel before heading to the beach for three hours. The water was a bit cold and the waves were pretty minor so we mainly just tanned. By one I got bored of tanning and headed back to the hostel. The rest of the afternoon I just made myself lunch and did my laundry in prep for tomorrow.

    Later in the afternoon we went for an early supper. We went to Bettys Burgers and it was amazing! I really messed with the menu and decided to totally destroy my arteries by ordering a beef burger with lettuce and pickles add a chicken burger patty and bacon. And of course Bettys secret sauce. It was delicious! And then we had ice cream on top of that. I essentially had a brownie cookie dough blizzard which was also pretty great.

    Later I met a guy in my hostel. He was from London working in Sydney this past year as a cocktail bartender. He told me that Backster's Inn is actually rated the 6th best bar in the world! (And I didn't even know that when I was there last week!).

    The rest of the night I sat around and chatted with some guys I had met the night before. Around nine I showered up and called it a day. Early morning tomorrow! Going off the grid until Wednesday on a Fraser Island tour!

    -Terrence out
    Read more