Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Villa Manare

    March 8, 2017 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Our last stop before beginning the trip back home was a villa we rented overlooking the Celebes Sea east of Manado. When we chose it we anticipated some serious levels of inactivity and indeed we were successful. So, dear reader, this post is one of indulgence such as we have never done before. If you're not in the mood for reading about near-shameless self gratification, stop reading now and wait for the next post.

    Villa Manare is the future retirement home of a French diplomat. Very tastefully decorated 3000 sq. ft. on a high bluff, it came with infinity pool and a staff that prepared very tasty breakfasts and dinners in Indonesian style. And all very cheap at about$120/ night that included the 90 minute each way airport trips. So lots of reading, lounging and dips in the pool while watching the fishing boats and tropical clouds. Definitely a new style and luxury that had just enough spicing with guilt to make it even more special. We did do a little kayaking and snorkelling from the beach below, did have exert ourselves getting the binoculars to our eyes for the various birds alighting nearby.

    The master bedroom was at bluffs edge and provided a 140 degree view from the bed, even better from the deck. Temps of 75-85, light winds and no bugs allowed all doors to be always open to sounds of the seashore and birds. Also the occasional gecko screech.

    The food was a variety of vegetable dishes with pleasant light spicing, fresh fish twice, some fried corn/ pepper cakes and desserts of fresh fruits. Breakfasts of fried rice, eggs and fruit unless we preferred a more American bacon, eggs, toast and fruit. Espresso anytime. Fortunately no weight scales anywhere.

    I suppose I should mention our walks to a nearby village, but that will be the subject of a second post and pics.

    At any rate, it was a great choice (thanks Lauren!) for our last stop. Here are some pictures of villa and views. Enjoy, I need to rest now after all this writing.....
    Read more