Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Jackson Hole

    May 23, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 3 °C

    We went from Twin Falls in the morning to Shoshone Falls. This waterfall exceeded our expectations. We went for a short walk to explore the view from all angles. After a quick lunch in the car we continued our trip towards Craters of the Moon national Monument and Preserve (a flood basalt area/lava stone field). We spent around 2h there and experienced all kinds of weather at once: rain, snow, strong winds, sun, etc. Nils took some nice drone shots but the wind defeated him and the drone gave up and crashed from about 2m (it’s still working though). After freezing our fingers off we spent some more hours on the road, passing the world’s first nuclear-powered city as well as some sketchy signs from the U.S government. After some googling we later discovered that this was one of the largest nuclear testing area in the world, which was about 20 miles along the road. On the way to Jackson Hole and our motel we AGAIN experienced snow and hard conditions. We drove up a mountain with very steep and icy roads (remember that we rented a car in California, i.e. with summer tires.....). It was a weird feeling driving up the mountain with summer tired while skiiers and snowboarders prepared themselves for a day in the slope. We arrived to our motel in the evening and then went for grocery shopping to get dinner and to prepare lunch for the next two days.
    In total we drove around 420 km this day.
    Tomorrow: Yellowstone!
    Read more