Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 10

    Redwood National & State Parks

    May 28, 2020 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    After having breakfast in our motel room and preparing lunch we set off towards the Redwood National and State Parks. This have been on Malin’s bucketlist for a long time and Nils has always wanted to see it but it was always too far away. Even though we knew we were going to see big trees we weren’t really sure what to expect. In the forest when Redwood trees started appearing it didn’t take long before we expressed our first ”woooow!!!”. It was like something out of this world, and it was hard to understand how big the trees were. We walked the Lady Bird Johnson trail and took at least around 50 pictures each of trees of different shapes and sizes. Nils took some drone shots and concluded that the trees were about 80m tall (at least). After an hour on the trail we got back to the car and had lunch.
    We continued to Fern Canyon where some of the Jurassic Park movies were filmed. There was an entrance fee of $8 and as we didn’t really know if it would be worth it we were a bit annoyed to pay for it. However, when we got to the trail we quickly changed our minds. It really felt like T-rex could stand around the corner and start chasing us down the trail. The trail was like an adventure course as we had to jump over the water at several places and balance over slippery stones and tree branches to get over the cold water. However, both of us failed. We both walked some of the trail with wet shoes and mud covered pants.
    After spending about 3h in the forests we went back to Eureka to check out the Carson Mansion. It’s one of the most photographed Victorian houses in the U.S. It looked very spooky already during day, so we decided to go back later to see it during night time to see if it looked even more spooky by then (it did.). When driving around in the city we saw a lot of homeless people, and we later read on the Internet that Eureka has a big problem with this. We were constantly reminded of it as we saw then walking around the motel in the evenings. After exploring Eureka for a while we went to Wendy’s to have food.
    In summary, a very very good day with a lot of fun activities (and wet shoes).
    Read more