Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Day Four: Machu Picchu

    June 3, 2023 in Peru ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    Finally, the day is here. I have dreamed about this moment since grade seven. I have been hiking to get here for three days. I have imagined this moment in my head countless times. And now, finally, I will be arriving at my first ever wonder of the world: Machu Picchu.

    We wake up early... very early (3:00am) in order to be the second group in line to enter into the last stretch of the Inca Trail and hopefully be one of the first to the Sun Gate. We waited for 2 hours in line (Angus and I just sat and played cards) before we were actually able to begin the hike. Today we only have two hours to go. Two hours stands between me and Machu Picchu! And let me tell you, these two hours flew by!

    The first hour was on Incan flats through cloud forest in order to reach the final staircase up to the Sun Gate. This final staircase is steep... Like so steep you use your hands to help pull you up. We take it one step at a time until we finally, after 15 mins, reach the top. The Sun Gate is the first place on the Inca Trail where you can see Machu Picchu. It's a small Inca site built with a perfect view of the sunrise during the summer solstice (not happening while we were there). The Inca people worshipped the Sun as a god and thus, the sunrise and consequently, the Sun Gate was very important. Arriving at the Sun Gate was magical. It's a view that you do not see in the pictures and postcards often but honestly, I think this view meant the most to me this entire trip. It was the culmination of so much hard work and the panoramic views of Machu Picchu surrounded by the mountains were breathtaking. I loved being able to just sit at the Sun Gate and appreciate what we had just accomplished and how lucky I am to be having this experience and adventure.

    We then had a casual 45 mins downhill before we finally officially made it to Machu Picchu. Machu Picchu is composed of agricultural terraces, Incan temples, and Incan homes. Only 65% of the site is uncovered and the rest still remains overgrown on the mountain (this is to preserve the site and prevent erosion). We had made it and we're overlooking the postcard view point of the ruins. And what a view point it was. To be able to see the ruins and the mountains surrounding it was so special. This moment was made all the richer by the journey it took to get there. While Machu Picchu itself is beautiful, being able to spend 3 days walking the path the Inca's walked and learning the nature and history of the route along the way makes Machu Picchu mean so much more.

    We then spent the next two hours exploring the ruins. Our guides explained how things were made, why they were built a certain way, and so much more. There were some sections that were very busy, but luckily since there were protests in Peru earlier this year, tourism was down and thus, the site was not as busy as usual. We got to have many areas to explore and learn about with just our group without others getting in the way (although some temples were more busy)! The ruins themselves were very impressive and it was interesting to see things pointed out to us by the guides that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise (such a difference in the quality of polish on the rock indicates when a new generation of builders began). The theory of Machu Picchu is that it was built in the mountains to protect against invaders and natural disasters. It was an important place of worship and when the Spanish came to Peru, it was abandoned in a rush and unfinished to prevent the Spanish from finding it and destroying it (to prevent them from worshipping their gods). It was then lost for almost 400 years. It is truly something so special to learn about and see.

    Overall, the Inca Trail exceeded my expectations in every way. Alpaca exhibitions were incredible and made the experience so fun and stress free. The trail itself is so beautiful. It is hard to put into words but honestly, something everyone should experience if they are able. And Machu Picchu itself is absolutely stunning and definitely worth the many, many, many hours of hiking. I am coming back from this trip tired and sore but with my heart full of joy. So grateful for this adventure.
    Read more