Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Cetina River Hiking

    May 14 in Croatia ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    Today was a fun day! When we were driving down to Dubrovnik we passed this canyon on the freeway that looked super cool so I had Raymond mark where it was about so I could look it up (as I did not see anything about it when I was planning!) and it was close to here, but I kept forgetting about it. When we were trying to figure out what to do today Raymond was like I thought we were exploring the canyon! Oh yeah! So I looked for a few places we might get some good views or have some nice hiking along the water.

    The first stop was some viewpoints in Zadvarje on the other side of the mountains and it was interesting when you go over the pass it is like a big plateau with more gradual hills. So much flatter than over here on the water with the giant cliffs! So off we went only to find when we got there that Tues is market day! It was odd as the market is literally set up on the side of the main street through town so there were people everywhere and cars trying to drive through (ourselves included as we only found parking on the far side of town). I had been telling Raymond we needed to keep an eye out for Soparnik - a thin dough filled with Swiss chard that is accidentally vegan. Well what did we find at the market? Soparnik! Of course we had to try it and it was pretty tasty. There were also lots of fruit and local food vendors and so we picked up some cherries, and lots of places selling this big round breads - which on the way back to the car we were lucky enough to find some to try out (it says online the market is open till 2, but at 11 when we were walking back so many people were packing up - there is no way it would still be going on at 2!). It’s called Kruh ispod peke - bread under the lid as it is cooked under a lid with charcoals embers on top. We had seen a bunch of these metal lids for sale and I had no idea what they were for until I looked up the bread when we got home! Super fun. Lots of farm tools and stuff as well and it was a pleasant surprise that we were there just in time for the market!

    Then we went to spy on the River viewpoints which were so nice! But my photos only look meh at best, but I love it! There were lots of official viewpoints to stop and spy that had facts about the River and we really enjoyed it. There was also this small church at the entrance to town that was cool - and had amazing views of the River valley!

    Then it was in to another small town for a hike down to the water and lunch on the riverbank which was nice. And so many butterfly friends! And we saw some fig trees! It was much cooler today which was good and after wandering around the river a bit we were trying to decide if we wanted to go farther or head back to the car and noticed there were dark storm clouds surrounding us (we were still in the sun) and started to hear thunder so back to the car it was! It luckily got overcast for our hike uphill, and much cooler, and started raining just as we got to the car so we headed for home. Once we got over the pass again it was much sunnier, though the mountains were in dark clouds all afternoon! And we could watch so much rain around Omiš and on the water and the islands, but no rain here (it was cloudy when we got back, but the sun even came out and was so warm I went swimming again!). It was good we went to Omiš yesterday as today was all stormy there! All in all a fun day and with some new Croatia treats! Oh and when we were lounging by the pool a little wagtail decided I stop by and do some cleaning :)
    Read more