Satellite
  • Day 10

    Keep the Car Running

    August 5, 2018 in England ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    It is a lazy Sunday morning. We are all having a well deserved lie in before going out for breakfast/brunch into Halifax. I am being taken to see the new centre there. Halifax is a minster town in the Metropolitan Borough of Calderdale in West Yorkshire, England. The town has been a centre of woollen manufacture from the 15th century onward, originally dealing through the Piece Hall.

    The Piece centre was once a bustling wool centre,where fleeces were bought and sold. Prices varied according to the quality of the fleece.

    Wool is not created or woven equally. Various kinds of sheep are raised for different types and lengths of fibers. These different types of fibers are woven into different types of cloth.

    Worsted is made from smooth compactly spun yarn. Long fibered wool is combed and spun using an average to hard twist in the spinning. The fabric is napless and tightly woven. Worsted is used for clothing, like suits.

    Woolen is made from fuzzy, loosely spun yarn. Short fibered yarn is carded and spun using an easy twist in the spinning. The fabric is nappy and bulky. Woolen is used for heavy clothing and blankets.

    Shoddy is made from a mixture of recycled woolen rags and virgin wool and is treated like woolen. Shoddy was developed in Batley, Yorshire by Benjamin Law circa 1813.
    After having a coffee and exploring the shops in the centre we headed off to Huddersfield as they had their bi annual food festival. When we arrived the place was humming. There were at least a few hundred people eating,drinking and having a great day out in the sunshine. Michael,Chris and Katie decided to partake of a curry but I was saving myself for Michaels cottage pie later. Katie is driving to Leeds tonight to babysit her friends children as it is school holidays in Britain and Barbara,Katie’s best friend needed someone to have the. Children.

    Huddersfield is a large market town in West Yorkshire, England. It is the 11th largest town in the United Kingdom, with a population of 162,949 at the 2011 census. It lies halfway between Leeds and Manchester.

    Chris has gone out to meet up with Ian and Sharon,Michael is sleeping and I am writing my diary. Goodnight diary.
    Read more