Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Day 4.

    January 31, 2020 in Belize ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    We began the day by grabbing some breakfast then got sized for our snorkel gear. The snorkel tour company was called Raggamuffin Tours and was quite popular on the island. We jumped on the boat and drove for about an hour before making our first snorkel stop. The guides were very knowledgeable about the marine life that was in the area. We saw many stingrays, tropical fish (including Dory!), turtles and even a few sharks! No worries though, the sharks that were in the area, called Caribbean reef sharks, have very small teeth and do not typically attack humans. There were a total of three snorkelling stops – two within the actual reserve itself (the Hol Chan Channel and the Shark and Ray Alley) and our third Coral Gardens and an additional 2 further sightseeing stops – Tarpon View (which is a kind of endangered fish) and watching for manatees.

    We had lunch on the boat which included rice, beans, coleslaw and a choice of chicken or chickpeas. The most common foods on the island are coconut rice, beans and seafood.

    We returned back to the island around 4 and relaxed by the beach and watched the sunset while sitting in our hammocks. It was a very busy day so everyone headed to bed fairly early after visiting the local shops.
    Read more