Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Day 6.

    February 2, 2020 in Belize ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Today we travelled by the water taxi from Caye Caulker to Belize City then took another chicken bus to San Ignacio, Belize. We arrived at our hostel around 1 PM then took a taxi to the ancient Mayan ruins in Xunantunich. We had to cross a river on the car ferry before walking to the ruins. They cannot build a permanent bridge for cars and walking traffic as the tide fluctuates quite drastically throughout the rainy season. The ruins were absolutely breath taking as the area has been very well maintained for centuries.

    For supper, we travelled to a small town outside of San Ignacio to visit the Women's Pottery Co-op that G Adventures helps sponsor through the Planterra Project. The project helped to fund a space for the pottery workshop and provides job opportunities for women in the community. The pottery techniques are those used by the ancient Mayans that has been passed down through generations. A few of the other members of my group also tried their hand at pottery which was very entertaining for the locals! The community also served us a traditional Belizian dinner that is also funded through the project.
    Read more