Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Antarctic Chills

    December 11, 2017 in Antarctica ⋅ 🌬 0 °C

    Well I now know I'm in Antarctica we woke to snow wind and a temperature of -4. To say it was cold was and understatement.
    The first landing at Goyrdin Island was abandoned, the wind was just too strong to make safe landings.

    So we travelled onto Brown Bluff to see if it was possible to land. It is freezing outside the boarding party scouts the area and decides it is safe to land. We are warned - we will get wet, it is windy and very cold. Rugged up in our expedition gear we head to the Zodiac. Right on queue the sea spray makes us all wet. The beach is rocky with very little snow. It is very rugged high cliffs.

    The sea has ice bergs and sheets close to shore. Today the main penquins here are Adelie. The wind is nearly blowing me off my feet so I find shelter behind a large rock where I can watch the penquins. They are much more lively here swimming in and out of the water. Jumping from water onto the ice shelfs. Really cute and funny to observe.

    We are meant to do the Polar Plunge tonight but as the weather is still windy the boat tries to find a suitable spot.

    While cruising we see a huge ice berg 2.5 ks long 930 meters wide 30 meters high another 100 meters below. Total 383 billion liters.
    Read more